Who can I contact if I have questions or need help?
Instructors and students can email firstname.lastname@example.org anytime for immediate assistance.
How does the student create an account and enroll in the course?
Student Enrollment & Activation
- Go to www.xyzhomework.com
- Click on Student Sign Up:
- Then Login using the account credentials you just created:
- To enroll in your course, click Enroll in New Class, and enter the course ID. Your Instructor will provide you with your course ID.
- You are now enrolled! To enter the course, click on the course name from your homepage.
- Every student gets a 15 day free trial, which means you have immediate access on day one. To activate your account, click on Membership Alert, then click Activate Now.
- If you have a physical access code, choose Option 1. Otherwise you can purchase access directly with Options 2 & 3. Option 2 is for courses using an OpenStax book, and your Instructor will provide a discount code. Option 3 is for courses using an XYZ Textbook.
How much does XYZ Homework cost to the student?
Every student gets a 15 day free trial.
XYZ Homework with XYZ Textbooks is $45 for 1 year of unlimited access to the students. This is Option 3 on the activation page.
XYZ Homework with OpenStax is $30 for 3 years of unlimited access to the students (this requires a discount code students would get from their Instructors). This is Option 2 on the activation page.
Do I set up the class roster or is it created as they log in?
The class roster is created automatically as students set up their account.
Will I be able to look at the assignments as the student will see them?
Yes. In the upper right of the course page, just to the right of course name are three views: “Instructor,” “Student,” and “Quick Rearrange.” Click on “Student,” and you’ll see things as a student would. Click, "Instructor," to get back to the Instructor view.
Do students get more than one chance to answer the homework questions?
Our default settings in our template courses are set up where every student gets unlimited attempts, 3 at a time. This means a student would get 3 attempts at a version of a question, then they would be shown the answer, and the can click the, "Try Another Similar Version," button to try another version. You can adjust the number of attempts in the assessment settings. This is up to you and you can change it on a per-assessment basis if you want (you can give them multiple—or even unlimited—chances on homework, but only 1 chance on a quiz or test, for example).
How do I classify something as a “Test” or a “Quiz”?
Follow the steps below to put your tests or quizzes in a different category:
- In the Gradebook, click on "Settings.”
- Scroll down to “Categories” and click “Add New Category”
- Name the new category “Test” and there are some additional options there to select if you so desire.
- Click “Update.” You’ve now created a “Test” category.
- Return to your main course view.
- Click on the “Settings” for an assessment.
- Under “Core Options” is “Gradebook Category” which is a drop-down menu. Select “Test” from the menu and now that item is categorized as a test. When it becomes “live” to the students, a new “Test” category will show up in the gradebook.
How sensitive is XYZ Homework’s system to parsing students’ answers? Will it count a problem as wrong if there are extra spaces?
As far as sensitivity to the answers goes, it’s pretty forgiving. It won’t read extraneous spaces as wrong. We believe most of these problems are worded rather well, so it’s key that the students read the instructions. If it asks for an equation, then the system will show that and expect y=2x+1. If it’s just asking for what y equals, then the blank for the answer will typically read y=[ ] so that they would only input the 2x+1.
I can’t see any entries in the gradebook for my class.
Our template courses have premade assignments for every section of the book you are using, and they will all automatically appear in the gradebook.
Items won’t show up in the gradebook if you change them to be hidden. If you’ve got a section “Hidden” (This is in the “Settings” option for each assessment), then the students can’t see it so there’s no reason for it to show up in the gradebook if there are no student scores. What this does is negate the necessity (you can still do it if you choose) of deleting certain assessments that you’re not going to use. If you just leave them as “hidden” then they won't show up for the students and they won’t clutter up your gradebook.
My school uses a different gradebook program. Can I use it instead of XYZ Homework’s built-in program?
The Gradebook in XYZ Homework works automatically as students complete assessments. If you need to have grades entered in another system, then the easiest way may be to use the “export” settings in the gradebook. It will create a .csv file (comma-separated values) that you can open in any spreadsheet program and you may be able to import it directly into your other system as well.
Does XYZ Homework have tools to help students with accessibility needs?
Yes, please contact email@example.com for more information.
Can XYZ Homework be integrated into another Learning Management System?
Yes, XYZ Homework can be integrated into any major Learning Management System, such as Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle, or D2L.
For reference, here are links to those instructions. If you need assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org :
* Canvas Integration: https://xyzhomework.com/imathas/help.php?section=lticanvas Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?
* Blackboard Integration: https://xyzhomework.com/imathas/help.php?section=ltibb
* Moodle Integration: https://xyzhomework.com/imathas/help.php?section=ltimoodle
* D2L / Brightspace Integration: https://xyzhomework.com/imathas/help.php?section=ltid2l
* Other LMS Integration: https://xyzhomework.com/imathas/help.php?section=ltiother